Spotlight On The Fact That I'm Awesome

Kids, Google Andy Rooney

On October 2, 2011, commentator Andy Rooney delivered his final commentary at the end of 60 Minutes, capping a thirty-three career in television. In his final commentary, Mr. Rooney stated that he does not plan to retire, for writers never really retire. Instead, Mr. Rooney will continue to write commentaries on everyday life. What follows is the first commentary Mr. Rooney wrote in his post-60 Minutes career.

Over the past couple of months, in preparation for my exit from 60 Minutes, I've been thinking over my career and the many things I have done. A certain sense of awe sets in when I think of all the people, in all the parts of the word, that have heard my words. Not many writers can claim to have had such influence over people for such a long period of time. Whether they agree or disagree with me, they at least heard me, and they heard me for a long time.

If I allow myself to set aside any sense of humility, when I think of the broad scope of my career, I can only come to one conclusion. I, Andy Rooney, am awesome. I am one of the most awesome writers living today. I'm pretty sure that, even if I never write another word again, my intense awesomeness is something not many people can top.

I'm certainly more awesome than most of the young writers of today. Most of those writers are too concerned with commercial success or the "artistic pursuit" to even come close to my grand awesomeness. Many of the young writers are too concerned with peppering their work with swear words to be concerned with being awesome, like I clearly am. I worked for years without swearing, making my awesomeness even larger. There are writers out there who's work is awash in swearing and explicit content. One such author that stick out in my mind is Nicholson Baker, prick.

As I age, some would argue that my awesomeness has diminished, but I don't feel that to be so. The fact is that my awesomeness is just as large and prevalent as it has ever been, and will continue to be so. However, with my departure from 60 Minutes, my awesomeness is transitioning to another form. Perhaps my awesomeness will become even larger as a gain a presence online. That is, if I ever figure out how to turn my computer on.



The Redertainment Corporation Of America Employee Spotlight: Julia Diana Bobbi

Job Title:
Host/Interviewer for The Redertainment Corporation Of America

What was your favorite TV show as a child?

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and Winnie the Pooh

Have you ever met a famous person? Who?

I met President Thomas S. Monson once. He was nice.

If you were alone on a island with one CD, who's would it be?

The Sounds. I just love all their stuff. It's bouncy and happy and filled with fun!

Where do you wish to retire?

The only plans I have for retirement is to serve a mission with my future husband.

What is your favorite novel or author?

Chris Heimerdinger. Either him or Nephi.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

The Temple. I can see it from my office everyday and want desperately to stroll around inside it.

What would you do with a million dollars?

I'd launch my own Mormon themed podcast. Sure there are a ton of those out there, but there's always room for more.

Please add one fun fact about yourself.

I have read the Book Of Mormon once a year, every year, since I was nine.

No comments: