Volume 11: Part 1- Moenia Prima: Saturday, July 16th, 6:00 P.M.


Saturday, July 16th, 6:00 P.M.
Yesterday I ran into Sparra at the cultural center.  He was helping kids perfect their jumpshot while I was looking at the want ads.  We started talking about music, video games, and all the work he was doing and I wasn't.  Over the course of the conversation Sparra mentioned how he hadn't heard from Delany, Matthew, and Wanda in a while.  Conveniently enough I had their email addresses in my Hipster, except for Matthew because I never bothered to put it in there.  We made plans to meet for lunch today at Ree's, a fine Velasian dining place downtown.  I say "fine" but what I really mean is fine to people who don't know any better and really like breadsticks.
Sparra and I showed up early for lunch.  Sparra showed up early because he was really excited about reconnecting with people.  I showed up early because I had nothing better to do.  We had to wait for the rest of our party before we were seated, so Sparra and I started talking.
Sparra got my attention by first hitting me on the arm.  "You pick up the new Klavier CD?"  Sparra's the one who got me into Klavier, although I suspect he's into them because their guitarist is hot as hell.
"I didn't so much pick it up as much as I stole it online."  Yes, I steal music online.  Deal with it.
"Have ya listened to that third track, Candyass?"
"With that sick guitar solo?"
"Yes!"  The two of us high fived, which grabbed the attention of the verbrecher hostess.
"Sorry miss."  The hostess walked away, shooting us dirty looks as she did so.
"What's her problem?"
"I don't know."
Just then we caught wind of a conversation happening on the other side of the short wall that separated the waiting area from the dining area.  Sparra and I got right up against the wall so we could hear better.
"-and so I told that ashy motherfucker, "Look freton, it doesn't matter that I hit your car with my car and now your piece of shit is a mangled piece of shit.  I am a verbrecher, and you are a no good opfer piece of shit.  Now get the fuck out of my face!"
"You put that freton in his place."  There was the sound of two people high fiving.
"You know what," then I hear a heavy click, "if I had pulled this blade on him, I would have gutted him like a fish.  Just like I do to any opfer I see."
Sparra then stood up on a bench that was against the short wall.  So that his head popped up over it.  He started addressing the people on the other side in a playful tone.  "Hello.  You said you wanted to do something with me?"  After he said that, Sparra flashed this thousand watt smile that served to taunt who he was addressing.  I stood up on the bench and peered over the wall just in time to see the embarrassed look on the people on the other side.  We got a laugh out of that.  A good long laugh.  A laugh that lasted untill Delany walked in the door of the restaurant.
"Well, it's good to see you two enjoying yourselves."  Seeing Delany made Sparra and I sit up and take notice.  I didn't know why Sparra took notice but I know why I did.  "You gonna tell me what you find so funny?"
I got Sparra's attention by hitting him on the arm.  "Dude, tell her what you did."
"Is Wanda with you by any chance?"  I found this to be strange.  It seems as if Sparra had completely forgotten what had just happened.
Delany took this in stride.  "Oh, she's outside on her phone."  Then Wanda entered the restaurant and I learned why Sparra had taken notice.  The look on Sparra's face upon seeing Wanda was one of pure delight.
Wanda finished placing her cellphone in her bag then turned and saw us.  "Hey you two."
Sparra made no effort to mask his delight.  "Hi.  It's good to see you."
I got up and made my way to the hostess's station, efforting not to get in Sparra's eye line.  "Great.  Now that our party's here, let's see about getting seated."  I rang the bell on the hostess's station.  I waited a moment then rang it again.  Then, in my impatience, I rang it annoyingly.  Finally, the hostess showed up.
"Yes sir, I can hear you, how can I help you?"
"Our complete party has arrived."
"Just the four of you?"
"Yep."
The hostess, efforting to mask her annoyance, gathered some menus and said, "Follow me."  The hostess lead us to a table where the four of us took our places.  Sparra pulled out a chair for Wanda, which she found to be odd.  She didn't find it odd that Sparra was being charming, it was odd that he was being charming to her.  The hostess have us our menus, took our drink orders, then left to tend to people who didn't annoy her.
I began looking over the menu and was shocked by what I saw.  "Wow.  Everything here is so damn expensive.  They even charge for water."
Delany agreed.  "Yeah.  Even if I could afford it, I really don't want to eat this much pasta.  Which one of you thought of coming here anyway?"
I glanced at Sparra, who quickly came to his own defense.  "Hey, I didn't know the food here cost so much.  I just hear some people at work talk about how good this place is.  Besides, I don't hear Wanda complaining about anything."
Without missing a beat, Wanda replied, "My boss owns this place, so I get a discount."
My greed was nearly embarrassing.  Nearly.  "Can the rest of us get in on that discount?"
Wanda couldn't help but giggle at my greed.  "Yes, of course."
Wanting to appear to be generous, magnanimous, and rich, Sparra said, "Then I'm picking up the tab for lunch."
Grabbing the waitress's attention in order to facilitate a joke, Delany said, "Excuse me, miss, can I get the pan fried filet minogue stuffed inside the oven roasted seasoned pheasant stuffed inside salt cured suckling pig with the 1923 Chateau however you pronounce that absurdly expensive bottle of wine, please?"  The annoyed waitress walked away as we all shared a hearty laugh.
Wanda dampened the laughter when she said, "At least I get benefits.  What do you get at your jobs?"
Delany held up her hand and said, "Papercuts."  The sight of Delany's bandaged hand made me wince and stop laughing.  "Yeah, this is what happens when you stuff envelopes all day."
Sparra had an inquiry.  "Don't most companies have machines that do that?"
Delany had an answer.  "They do.  However, I work for a charity that can't afford to give me a raise, much less make my job obsolete."
I chimed in so that I can start whining.  "At least you have a job that can be made obsolete."
Wanda was amazed by this.  "You still don't have a job?"
I continued to whine.  "Nope."
Delany was concerned.  "If you don't have a job, how did you plan to pay for lunch?"
I had an answer for Delany.  Not one that quelled her concerns, but an answer.  "Well, let me put it this way: I wore my running shoes today."
Sparra then tried to turn his charm on again.  "Speaking of shoes, I notice you've got quite an exquisite pair of heels on today, Wanda.  What do you do to be able to afford those fine kicks?"
Wanda then became extremely quiet.  What she said next she said with a great deal of hesitation before every word.  "I am a stripper."
I could tell by the look on Sparra's face that he regretted bringing up Wanda's shoes.  Delany tied to mask her shock by taking a drink of water.  I made a regrettable attempt to break the tension.  "So a strip club owner owns Ree's?  Interesting."
I don't know if it was my joke that did it to her, although I hope it wasn't, but at this moment Wanda started breaking out on tears.  Sparra attempted to console her.  "Look, stripping isn't that bad.  I was thinking about going into stripping before I got on at the Post Office."
Wanda slightly composed herself and began to spill her problems.  "No, it's not that the stripping that's bad.  Stripping, and the pole work that comes with it, is actually a great way to get some exercise.  The bad thing about the job is the clients."  Wanda took a moment to dab her eyes with one of the napkins at the table.  The rest of us didn't say anything.  I was afraid at what might come next.  "The catcalls and the names are nearly unbearable.  I didn't know what a couple of the names meant untill I looked them up online and learned how disgusting they were.  They way they handle me is equally disgusting.  Slapping my ass to get my attention, groping my breasts the moment I get within arm's length, forcing me down on their laps by grabbing me by the crotch.  I swear, some nights when the all verbrecher all drunk crowd is hyped enough, the only thing keeping them from assaulting me as a group is the bodyguard openly displaying their loaded assault rifles."
That was the last thing Wanda said before she began flooding her face with tears.  Our group lunch didn't go on for much longer after that.  Wanda was the first to leave, she wasn't going anywhere in particular, she just felt she had to leave.  Sparra settled the bill and chased off after Wanda, attempting to apologize as he did so.  Delany went back to work, saying she was swinging by the drug store to get some more bandages on the way.  I went home, completed some more levels in Shadow Core while submitting more job applications online.  I hope the future hold better things for this little group of ours.  It's got to get better than this, right?
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: