Braid Review


Braid is a game that is getting a lot of talk after it's release on the Xbox Live Arcade. It has a Metacritic average of 93, it received an A+ from 1UP, and has been generally seen as the best XBLA game to come out in a while.

After hearing this praise, I thought I might like to play Braid. I got the demo, played around with it for a while, and then decided not to buy it. I have one overarching reason why I didn't buy it, and that was not price. Considering that we, as a gaming public, willingly and often spend $60 for games, $15 for a great game seems like a bargain. My reason for not buying Braid can be wrapped up in five words. These are words I have said often, in fact, when I was three years old, I said these exact words to my mother. I can't fucking see anything.


Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I must admit several things. First, I have a 27 inch TV. Second, I sit nine and a half feet from my TV. Third, I have 20/42 vision and need glasses in order to see. However, with most games, none of this is a problem. I played MGS4 with no problem seeing things. I played Bioshock with no problems seeing things. I played Dr. Mario RX with no problem seeing things. The only other game I've played that I've run into sight related problems is N+. Although, I must admit, I also strongly object to N+'s portrayal of people with extreme anorexia.


Now, most people in this position would not give a grade to his game, but I am not most people, and am quite proud of that. The grade I am giving Braid XBLA is E. E, as in E,F,P,T,O,Z.

No comments: