Volume 11: Part 4- Vierdestad: Monday, October 24th, 4:37 P.M.


Monday, October 24th, 4:37 P.M.
Rinoa and I were making our way to the top of a hill near where Gin's plane had come to stop.  We weren't going too fast, due to the two of us being in a deeply packed forest and Rinoa was concerned about my headwound.  As we were walking, Rinoa heard what she thought were people talking.  Thinking they could help us, Rinoa and I started looking for them.
It didn't take me long to find them.  They were pretty loud and pretty close.  However, once I saw the people I got down and hid amongst the brush.  Rinoa wasn't far behind me, and when she came upon me, I yanked her down beside me.
"Hey!  What's the deal?"  Apparently Rinoa doesn't like being yanked to the ground by her arm.
In a hushed tone I said, "Quiet," and pointed toward the people.  There were three men, all about my age, looking around at the wreckage that is now Gin's plane.  They looked to be opfers carrying assault rifles, but what made me anxious was the uniforms.  I know those uniforms.  I've seen those uniforms before.  The men inspecting the plane were wearing the exact same uniforms as the police in Moenia Prima.
In a normal tone of voice, Rinoa said, "What's going on?"
"Keep it down, they'll hear you."
Now in a hushed tone of voice, Rinoa asked, "What's going on?"
"You see those guys over there?"
Rinoa popped her head up and saw the men by the airplane.  "Oh, I see them.  Maybe they can help us."  When Rinoa raised her hand to wave at the men, I pulled it back down.
"Stay down, I don't want them to see us."
"Why now?"  Rinoa seemed sincerely puzzled by this.
"You see the uniforms they're wearing?"
"Yeah."
"Those are the same uniforms worn by the police officers in Moenia Prima."
Rinoa lifted her head to get a look at the men.  "Are you sure?"
"Yeah."
"Oh."  There was a short pause.  "So?"
"So?"
"Yeah, so what if these men are wearing the same uniforms as the police in Moenia Prima?"
Rinoa's question was a valid one, so I searched my memory to find a reason for me to be so apprehensive about those men.  "There was a story on the news about the Moenia Prima Police Department infiltrating the opfer community center, catching some people doing something slightly illegal, then saying the community center was a central hub for some kind of opfer crime syndicate."
Rinoa lifted her head again to look at the men.  "But their skin, it's dark like ours, like all opfers."
"It's makeup.  When the police officers infiltrated the community center, they wore greasepaint.  They're wearing greasepaint, using blackface to deceive us."
Rinoa thought for a moment and looked up at the sky.  "But it's raining.  Wouldn't the makeup wash off, or start running at least?"
Rinoa's point may have had more sway with me if we were talking about someone that I in any way trusted.  "It's really good makeup.  Come on, we need to get out of here," which is exactly what we did.  I ran about as quick as I could in a direction that was away from the wreckage of Gin's plane.  I couldn't run as fast as I could because I had to make sure Rinoa was still behind me.
After some time and what I thought was a considerable distance, Rinoa and I stopped to catch our breaths, at which point Rinoa asked a critical question.  "Where are we going?"
I didn't have an answer to that question but I wanted to appear like I did.  The map program on my Hipster should have helped me get an answer.  Unfortunately there are no roads in the forest and the GPS coverage was spotty at best.  After looking at my Hipster for a while and trying to not make my lack of knowledge known to Rinoa, I pointed in a direction and said, "North.  The map on my Hipster says there's a town to the north of here," and started walking in that direction.  I took about a step and a half before Rinoa stopped me.
"Hato, given the time of day and the way the shadows are falling, isn't north that way?"  Rinoa may have been right, Rinoa may have been wrong.  All I know is the direction Rinoa pointed to was away from Gin's plane, so we went that way.
We continued running through the lush, green, naturally abundant forest untill we encountered something that was in no way natural.  A fence.  A fifteen foot tall chain like fence with razor wire on the top.  Due to the razor wire, we couldn't scale the fence besides I doubt Rinoa could have done so without making a lot of noise.  Going through or under the fence was obviously not an option, so Rinoa and I had to move along the fence untill we reached the end of it while still remaining under the cover of the forest.  As we followed along the fence line, it became clear to me that Rinoa was beginning to wonder if I really knew where we were going.
"Do you really know where we are going?"  I couldn't say yes to Rinoa's question but I couldn't really say no either.  So, rather than address Rinoa's question, I asked one of my own.
"Have you seen any more of those uniformed men around?"
"No, I haven't seen any since we saw those other ones.  Do you know where we're going?"
"Maybe we should take a break to catch our breath."
"Catch our breath while you figure out where we're going?"  Damn, Rinoa's persistent.  I found a nice large rock where I could sit down and pretend like I was looking up our location on my Hipster.  Rinoa, after several attempts to glance at the Hipster I was protecting, decided to look at something else.  "Hato, look at that building over there."  Rinoa was referring to a building beyond the fence slightly obscured by trees, but still plainly visible from where we were standing.
As I continued to look at this building, I noticed something.  "Are those people over there?"
"Yeah."  Rinoa left the forest and approached the fence to get a better look at the building.  "Those are people."
I joined Rinoa standing by the fence.  "People in normal clothes, not the uniforms we saw on the other men."
"And look."  Rinoa pointed at a group of people.  There were three of them, watching TV, generally enjoying themselves, what most people would identify as a family.  Mom, dad, and young child.  "They're opfers."
I continued looking at the family, trying to see if these people were also wearing greasepaint.  It was when I was straining to study the family when I heard the click.  "Put your hands up and turn around."  Rinoa and I looked at each other before we turned around.  The look of total fear on Rinoa's face was more distressing to me than what I saw when I turned around.
There they were.  Three men.  The three men we saw at Gin's plane.  The three men we were trying to evade.  Three men in uniforms holding assault rifles pointed at us.  Three men, faced covered in rainwater, with clear evenly dark complexions.
There are certain situations that wise that cause you to say things that you would never say otherwise.  A part of me hopes that doesn't explain what Rinoa said to me as she stared at the three men.  "Hato, I'm sorry about what I said.  I didn't really mean to call you a weird slightly obsessed guy.  I was just upset."
Hearing Rinoa's confession made me want to confess something.  I wish what I had to say was more significant than it was.  "Rinoa, I'm sorry but I had no idea where we were going.  We were running around the forest like a chicken with its head cut off."
The uniformed man in the center began addressing us.  "Keep your hands up!"  We did.  The uniformed man addressing us lowered his gun and started walking toward me.  As he did so, the uniformed man started looking at my face oddly.  He looked at it left to right, up and down, then through one eye followed by the other.  Then the uniformed man stuck his hand out and pressed his fingers against my forehead.  He placed two fingers in the middle of my forehead, ran them left and right along my eyebrows, then down the center of my face to the tip of my nose.  The uniformed man then looked at his fingers and started rubbing them with his thumb.  The uniformed man then did the same thing to Rinoa.  She didn't look like she enjoyed the strange man putting his fingers on her face, and who could blame her.  After he was done, the uniformed man stepped back to where the other two uniformed men were standing and asked, "Are you opfers?"
I hesitated a moment before responding.  "Are you?"
"You doubt me?"  The man addressing us was not happy to hear my question.
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Your uniform.  You are wearing the same uniform the police in Moenia Prima wear.  Those police would regularly put on greasepaint and harass opfers.  Many of those police officers killed my parents and many opfers in Moenia Prima."
A knowing look came over the face of the man addressing us.  "Ah, I see."  The man addressing us then motioned to the other uniformed men who put down their weapons.  "I've heard similar reports about uniformed verbrecher men wearing grease paint.  I wouldn't trust us either under those circumstances.  In fact, that thing I did where I rubbed your faces was me checking to see if you were wearing grease paint."  All three of the uniformed man got a laugh out of that.  I didn't feel like laughing and clearly neither did Rinoa.  The man addressing us stepped forward again, extended his hand to us, and said, "Brother, my name is Captain Ushtar Alie.  Behind me on the left is Private Billy Mik, and on the right is Major Robert Dost.  We are members of the Vierdestad Opfer Military, protectors of all those that live in the great city of Vierdestad."
A look of hope came over Rinoa's face.  "Vierdestad!  Where is it?  How far away are we from it?"
Ushtar lifted his arm, pointed, and said, "It's right there behind that fence."  Looking back on it, that was rather funny.
Rinoa continued in her jubilance.  "Is there a hospital where Hato and I can get checked out?"  Rinoa says weird things when she's jubilant.
Ushtar shouldered his rifle and said, "Yes.  If you'll follow me, I'll take you right there," after which Ushtar started marching off with Rinoa following shortly behind him.  I was a bit more hesitant to follow Captain Alie, but Rinoa grabbing me by the arm more or less compelled me to do so.  It's odd staring at the butt of an attractive woman while two men carrying assault rifles are walking behind you.
Rinoa and I are at a medical facility run by the Vierdestad Opfer Military right now.  They checked me out first and diagnosed me as having suffered a concussion in addition to the headwound , which they used twelve stitches to close.  They're checking out Rinoa now as I patiently wait in the waiting room.  I hope she's fine.  I have no reason to believe she isn't, but I hope it nonetheless.
I've never spent a lot of time in a hospital.  I don't like it much.  Not just because of the general feeling of sickness here.  It's also because of the many strong muscular opfer men wearing uniforms I've only seen on verbrechers who had a problem with me.  There's a weird mix of pride and anxiety going through my body right now.  I'd like to leave this place so that feeling could go away.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: