Volume 11: Part 4- Vierdestad: Tuesday, October 25th, 7:10 A.M.


Tuesday, October 25th, 7:10 A.M.
After a night spent not sleeping in the hallway, I went down to the lobby of The Redford to see if there was a free breakfast in this place.  As I took the elevator down, the thought of seeing Ushtar came to mind.  When this thought came to me, I closed my eyes and prayed that wouldn't happen.  My prayers weren't answered.
When the elevator doors opened at Lobby level, Ushtar was sitting in his full military uniform on a bench directly in front of me.  For a moment, I hoped Ushtar wasn't there to see me.  Those hopes were dashed when he saw me, stood up, and slowly started walking my way.  I was in full apology mode by the time he got to me.  "Look, Ushtar, let me-"
"Hato, you've had a rough couple of days.  Between the plane crash, evading someone you thought was out to kill you, waiting, waiting, and waiting, you were probably way strung out and tired and at the end of your rope.  I get that, I've been there.  Let's just forget that you said what you said yesterday, and just start fresh."
Ushtar extended his hand to me after saying that.  I let out a sigh of relief as I mightily shook it.  "Okay.  Now, what is there to do around here?"
"Commander Lider wanted you to report to him today, but I got him to push it back untill you get more situated."
I thought about asking Ushtar what he meant by report, but instead I decided to be funny.  "Okay.  Now, what is there to do around here?"
Ushtar looked me up and down and said, "You look like you haven't showered in a couple of days."
I shrugged and said, "I haven't."
"Did you not think of it, is Rinoa monopolizing the bathroom, or?"
"I actually haven't been in the room you got us."
"Why not?"
The answer to this was so obvious to me, but it took me a moment to find it and then say it.  "I haven't talked to Rinoa since she shoved us aside and closed the door on us.  I'm kind of afraid to do so because, in my limited experience with her, I've never been able to adequately handle Rinoa when I've pissed her off."
Much like I had no sympathy for his stupidity last night, Ushtar had no sympathy for what I had just said.  "Hato, that is not a good excuse.  You need to go upstairs and talk to Rinoa, now.  I can't arrange another room for you, I just spent the morning trying to do that.  Also, you are not going out with me untill you get showered.  So, go up there, convince Rinoa to at least let you take a shower, ask her about going to get clothes, and be back here in an hour."
I didn't really question what Ushtar was telling me to do, I just turned around and started doing it.  It wasn't untill the elevator doors closed that I realized what I was doing, and questioned why I hadn't done it before.  Yet, I continued doing it.  Maybe that's why Ushtar Alie is a Captain.  He can get people to do what they are absolutely dreading doing.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: