Volume 11: Part 4- Vierdestad: Monday, October 24th, 9:22 P.M.


Monday, October 24th, 9:22 P.M.
After Rinoa and I were done with Commander Lider, we spent about fifteen minutes waiting for Captain Ushtar to take us to our hotel room.  We only waited about fifteen minutes but it felt like for-fucking-ever.  At this point, after waiting at the medical facility, waiting for Commander Lider, then waiting in the exact same fucking place for Ushtar, I am done with waiting.  Done.  Fucking done.
I haven't been to a lot of hotels, so I can't say if The Redford is a good one or not.  What I do know is that The Redford is one tall building.  I bet if you dropped something from the roof of this place, I'd be a long time before it hit the ground.
Captain Ushtar drove us to The Redford and took charge of getting us checked in and situated.  Thankfully, that process didn't take long.  That didn't stop Rinoa and I from complaining about stuff.  There was a clear sarcastic element in my voice when I said, "This place looks real nice."
Rinoa continued with the sarcastic conversation.  "Yeah, you can tell the time and effort that was put into making the cracks in the linoleum look realistic."
"And look at that wallpaper.  I haven't seen anything like that since they bulldozed my great-grandma's house."
"And the air here smells like an old person's house.  Either that, or their intake sits next to a chemical waste facility."
After Rinoa's comment I took a quick whiff of myself.  "Actually, I think that's me."
After my comment, Rinoa took a whiff of herself.  "Yeah, our clothes smell pretty rank.  It figures since we've been in plane crashes and the forest of the past two days."
"I could use a shower."
"Yes.  Not only could I use a wash, our clothes could use one too."
"I wonder if they have a laundromat in this decrepit old building."
Rinoa looked at me with a disgusted look on her face.  "It has better be a private facility.  If it's public, no way."
I didn't understand this, and my face showed it.  "How come?"
"Hato, these are the only clothes I have.  In order to wash these clothes, I'd have to take them off, and I am not hanging around in a public place in my underwear."
In hindsight, I should not have asked this question.  "Don't you have to wash your underwear as well?"
In response to that, Rinoa punched me.  Hard.  As I was grimacing in pain, Captain Ushtar came up to us.  "Okay, I have you two checked in.  It'll take a couple of days to arrange actual housing for you, so for now you're staying here."
Rinoa asked, "Do we have to?  I mean, this place might spoil us."
Captain Ushtar didn't take to Rinoa's sarcasm well.  He showed this by not even responding to it.  "Here are your room keys.  I'll show you up, follow me."  Captain Ushtar handed us each a credit card looking thing and started walking away from us.  We followed Ushtar into an old elevator, the state of which matched the linoleum and wallpaper from the lobby.  As if to distract us from thinking of the very real possibility we could fall to our deaths in a tin box older than our parents, Captain Ushtar tried to strike up a conversation with us.  "I heard you two talking about clothes."
Rinoa was appalled.  "You heard us?"
Ushtar seemed to treat this like a matter of fact.  "Yeah.  Say what you want about the hotel lobby, which, from what I heard, you did, the acoustics are phenomenal."
Finding out Ushtar could hear her was embarrassing to Rinoa.  She closed her eyes and withdrew from the situation, leaving me to carry on the conversation.  "So, what about clothes?"
Talking to me, Captain Ushtar said, "If you're interested, my fiancé has a store with plenty of nice clothes for you and your girlfriend."
I was puzzled by what Captain Ushtar had said at the end.  "Girlfriend?"
"You know, Rinoa."
I looked over at Rinoa after Ushtar said that.  She was now turning away from us with her eyes cast straight downward.  I looked back at Ushtar and said, "We don't have that kind of relationship."
A look of embarrassment came over Ushtar's face when I said that.  "Oh.  Sorry, I didn't know.  It's just I heard you talking and bitching about things, and it reminds me of how my fiancĂ© and I talk, so I-"  This is when, mercifully, the elevator doors opened.  With evident relief in his voice, Ushtar said, "Hey, look, we're here," as he quickly exited the elevator.
Rinoa and I followed after Ushtar untill he stopped just in front of a door.  Motioning to the door, Ushtar said, "Here's your room."
Being the one closest to Ushtar, I asked him, "Which one are you talking to?"
Ushtar got that same embarrassed look on his face I had seen in the elevator.  "Uh- Well, both of you.  I thought you two would only need one room."
There's making a series of honest mistakes and being a general dumbass.  I generally assume people are the latter and have no patience for them.  "What the fuck, man?  You get us checked into this glorified rat infested cardboard box without asking us a basic fucking question like how many rooms we'd need?  How did you get to be a Captain?  Are your subordinates dumber than the bedbugs that surely have infested every fucking inch of this fucking place?  You know what?  I bet-"
This is when Rinoa pushed past me, came to the door to our room, shoved Ushtar for no real reason, opened the door just enough for her to get in, then strongly closed it behind her.  After this happened I looked at the door, stunned at what just happened.  Then I looked back at Ushtar.  Before I could say anything, Ushtar said, "Goodnight then.  I'm going to go back home, assuming my stupidity doesn't prevent me from operating the elevator.  By the way, the button that points down means down, right?"
As I watched Captain Ushtar walk away from me, I felt that I had just fucked things up again.  Not only was I standing in a hallway, unsure if it was okay for me to enter the room I was supposed to sleep in, but I was just rude to someone that was nothing but hospitable to me.  Hopefully the rug in this hallway is more comfortable than the wall I'm leaving against as I craft this entry.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: