Here Are A Series Of Posed Photographs


There are certain assumptions that you can make when you see a photograph of someone.  Increasingly one of those assumptions you can make is that the photograph is not an accurate representation of reality.  Between photoshopping, airbrushing, and other artistic techniques, fiddling with photos, both before and after the photo is taken, has become as integral of a part of the photography process as film used to be.  One of these techniques of staging.


We've all seen photos where the entire family gathers around one or more older members of the family and flashes their biggest and brightest smiles while all looking in the same general direction.  Do any of us think that this happens naturally?  No!  Photos like this are entirely staged so that they look their best.  We all know this, but some people insist on reading more into these photos that that.  Perhaps it is the cynic in me, but I am not one of them.  Perhaps it is the cynic in me, but I always think photographs are staged in one way or another.


So why do I have such a big problem with this?  Yes these pictures are contrived, I knew that when I clicked on the story.  These series of pictures are entirely staged, the colour is entirely taken away, and even the clothing choices, or lack of clothing choices, are suspect.  So who do I have such a big problem with this?  I believe it is the setting.  To me, the bedroom is a place where I can escape to when I want to reach absolute solitude.  To me, the bedroom is not just a place where I can rest, it is a place where I can be alone, and for someone to invade that offends me.  I know not everyone feels this way, but this is an extension of how I approach the world.  If I feel that doing something is really messed up, it would be fucked up for me to do that same thing.  If I don't want someone to invade my personal private space, then I need to treat other people's personal private spaces the same way.  So, even though it is entirely staged and contrived, I don't feel right seeing pictures of celebrities in their bedrooms.


Also, who the fuck wears a leather jacket to bed?

No comments: