Two Sources On Elizabeth Phillips


I read a lot of different kind of news from a lot of different kinds of news sources.  I do this so that I can get a wide variety of news, as well as get a wide variety of opinions on the news stories that are going on.  Sometimes the difference between how two different sources reports a story is striking.



Take, for example, the story of Elizabeth Phillips.  If you read this story written by Shawn Smith for Vice Magazine's Fightland Blog, you get a picture of a strong female fighter who goes against the normal stereotypes that people have for women.  You get a picture of Elizabeth Phillips as a modern woman making a name for herself in a predominately male sport, and kicking a lot of ass while doing so.



If you read this story written by Thomas Gerbasi for the official UFC website, you get a picture of a woman who's been through some fucked up shit in the past year.  You get stories of drastic weight cuts, horrific fights that didn't go her way, as well as slight references to her life previous to 2014.  From Vice you get a full picture of a fighter on the rise.  From the UFC you get a small sliver of a picture of a fighter they might be utilizing more if she continues in her success, if.

This is why I get my news from multiple sources.  Not just so I can get a more complete perspective on the stories that go on in my world, but also a more complete perspective on the people that tell those stories.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to watching MSNBC's coverage of the Ferguson protests.  I'd watch Fox News's coverage, but I'm not at the gym right now.

No comments: