Volume 11: Part 3- Trebyer: Monday, October 17th, 2:43 P.M.


Monday, October 17th, 2:43 P.M.
The first delivery Rinoa and I made was to Frokost, a restaurant near Dolore University.  As we made our way to Frokost, Rinoa took the lead in navigating us there.  She knew which routes to take, which roads would be busy and not busy, and how to avoid crowds coming from the university.  Looking back, it seems kind of odd that she had this kind of knowledge.  It was like walking around a town with someone who grew up in that town and had an intimate knowledge of it.
The lunch rush had just hit when we got to Frokost, so we decided to hold off on getting Gin's money untill the rush had subsisted.  Rinoa and I wandered over to the Dolore University campus and found a nice water fountain that most people use to sit, talk, and be personable in front of.  We chose this spot to play with the electronic devices we were carrying.  Eventually we started talking about the devices we were carrying.
Rinoa, looking over at me, asked, "Is that a Hipster?"
I didn't know if she had not seen one before or was familiar with them, so I went with it. "Yep."  There was a long pause as I mentally kicked myself for not giving a longer response to Rinoa's question.  Finally, Rinoa tried striking up conversation again.
"What kind of programs do you have for that thing?"
"Oh, just the programs that were on it when I got it.  Clock, radio, a journal program I get a lot of use out of, music, normal kind of stuff."
"Oh.  That's cool."  After that there was another long pause in the conversation, and Rinoa's device did look interesting, at least more interesting than I was being at the moment.  Finally, at long last, I decided to look at something then ask Rinoa about it.
"What do you think of that water fountain over there?"  I thought the fountain I was referring to was a simple series of translucent squares arranged so that the water flows over then in a consistent manner.  So, Rinoa's reply shocked me.
"The angular design suggests a Galbadian influence, possibly the artist is either from that region or spent a great deal of time there.  The amount of recurrent water is reminiscent of the late Velasian artist Nomura, who sought to reflect his mindset that one must not plunder the vast and abundant resources of his native land.  Finally, the drains at the bottom, in particular the way they catch everything in the general area, may be subtly reminding people of the message delivered by Dolorian philosopher Taylor Flemming, who said, 'Everything we do is caught by someone, even if that someone is only ourselves.'  What do you think?"
Rinoa's lengthy, complex, and long answer set me back on my heels for a bit.  In that moment, about the only response I had was, "I was thinking that the sound of the falling water makes me want to pee."  We both got a good laugh out of that, although I don't know if Rinoa's laughter was genuine or if she was humoring me.
Shortly after that, we made our way to Frokost.  The lunch rush is over, we talked to the manager, and he's getting Gin's money right now.  The manager offered us a bite to eat which Rinoa refused but I eagerly accepted.  I wish I had followed Rinoa's lead because this pizza sucks.
There's something Rinoa pointed out to me as we waited for Gin's payment.  Rinoa noticed something about the students in the restaurant.  They were all sitting in groups, different sized groups, some with books and laptops, others with just food.  None of these groups seemed to have anything in common, except for one thing.  The groups with people of verbrecher descent were seated on one side of the restaurant, while the groups with people of opfer descent were on the opposite side, and none of the groups had members of both verbrecher and opfer descent.  Rinoa finds this situation to be odd.  I find it to be troubling.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: