Volume 11: Part 3- Trebyer: Tuesday, October 18th, 1:17 P.M.


Tuesday, October 18th, 1:17 P.M.
Tucked in a small, quiet part of town in between a grocery store and a place to get your oil changed is a place called Guillen's.  If you look at it from the outside, you would not know what Guillen's is.  You might just think that this building has been abandoned for years, despite there being a freshly painted sign near the door.  I think that is the intent.  I think Guillen's wants to give the impression that they, and the music that is played therein, is a well guarded secret that those in the know have to clue you in to.  Fortunately, I have been clued in.
Today, Gin sent Rinoa and I to a blues bar, and upon entering I felt like I was at home.  Not the racist, violent, murderous home as I last saw it, but the warm, inclusive, safe home I had experienced before.  The music and the atmosphere of Guillen's reminded me of those occasions, before Sakoshi was born, when my parents would have company over.  The adults would be indulging in great food, great music, and great beverages, while the kids were in the extra bedroom wishing they were in on the party.  On those occasions, while they were setting up, my Father would talk to me about the music they would be listening to.  Who was playing, how they were playing, and what they were playing, and why what they were playing was so important to people in the know.  Those memories brought a smile to my face, a smile Rinoa picked up on.
"What are you smiling about, Hato?  You do know they won't serve you here, right?"
I couldn't, or didn't want to, tell Rinoa why exactly I was smiling, so I made something up.  "This song, it's by Gatton Jex.  You don't really hear his stuff that often, but I really enjoy it."
Rinoa clearly was not impressed.  "Oh.  Maybe that's who's performing."
"I doubt it, seeing as he's dead."
Rinoa was scanning the room, looking for Guillen's manager, when something caught her eye.  "Also, that sign over there says someone named Shannon Dalton is playing."
"Oh.  I wonder if he's any good."
Rinoa's continuing scan caught something else.  "The person playing is a chick."
Rinoa's observation hurt my pride, so I shut up for a bit.  Luckily at about this time we found a bartender that looked like he ran things at Guillen's.  He didn't, but he went to the back to get the person who did.  As he did so, I took the opportunity to listen to Miss Dalton play.  There's something about watching a woman play the guitar that is absolutely mesmerizing to me.  I hope it's not because I marvel at the fingerwork.
Rinoa dealt with the manager and getting Gin's money while I was watching Miss Dalton play.  I didn't even know any of that was going on untill Rinoa hit me with an envelope with Gin's money in it and said, "Let's go."  With that we left Guillen's.  I should have put some money in Miss Daltons tip glass, but not having money prevents you from doing that.
As we were walking back to Gin's, I was still grooving on one of the songs that was played.  Rinoa found this quite amusing.  While standing at an intersection, and while I was tapping my foot and humming as a volume I thought was quiet, Rinoa said to me, "Well, now I know that all it takes to make you act like a fool is to strap on a guitar and start strumming away."
Through my embarrassment, I said, "Yeah, I just get carried away sometimes."
"Yeah, guys tend to get ga-ga when beautiful women are present."
Rinoa's dismissive and borderline condescending tone caused me to defend myself.  "It wasn't the Miss Dalton that made me go ga-ga."  Rinoa shot me a look that conveyed just how little she believed me.  "Okay, it wasn't just Miss Dalton, it was the music.  Blues.  Good, old fashioned, stripped down guitar and vocal blues just strikes a chord with me.  When I'm in an environment where I can revel in that music, I just let myself slip away."
This is when the evident cynicism on Rinoa's face started to break.  "I feel that.  You're in an environment where art that you enjoy is, and you were just enjoying art."
"Exactly."
"It's like my reaction when I look at that billboard over there."  Rinoa then gestured toward an ad hanging on the grocery store next to Guillen's.  It's an ad for Pilot Bananas featuring their iconic mascot Paula Pilot: The Pilot That Fly Bananas.  This ad was a departure from the boring business-like image we usually see from Paula Pilot.  Rinoa described this ad to me far better than I can do myself.  "Look at the background, the gently sloping hills filled with fertile farms, topped by a clear blue sky.  In the foreground is the mascot, clad in the attire of the worker, holding a basket of the product just under the level of her breasts, full, perky, and on display but not in a tawdry way.  Finally, look at Paula's head.  Her hair is flowing, long, and free in the breeze, her eyes look upward optimistically while the brief hint of a smile graces her full, red lips.  That billboard is so fascinating to me as a lover of art."
The description Rinoa delivered intrigued me.  Also, I like the sound of her voice.  "How so?"
I could see a glimmer in Rinoa's eye as she explained.  "Well, you can draw different meanings from that billboard, depending on what mindset you operated under.  If you're an optimist, you see the good message Pilot Bananas is trying to convey.  You see the bright, clean sky, plentiful fields, and the strong vibrant woman as Pilot trying to say that their bananas are filled with those qualities.  However, if you're a cynic, you can derive a completely different meaning.  You look at the fields and think that there is no way that the modern day corporate run farms look anything like that.  You look at the sky, free and clear of the thick black some belched out of the trucks that move Pilot Bananas around.  Then, in the center of all this, you see Paula.  Paula, no longer the inspirational feminist icon, now transformed into the wholly unrealistic representation of the common worker, while, at the same time, acting as a sexual provocateur, with her breasts and her lips and the blatantly phallic objects she is holding near her breasts and lips."
I had to stifle my excitement at the unabashedly militant things Rinoa was saying.  I did this by deflecting.  "I feel the same way about music, particularly the Blues we were just listening to.  Depending on what you're going through at the time, good times, bad times, normal times, or whatever, you can take different meanings from the Blues.  You can commiserate with the artist about the bad times you both are going through.  You can look at your own life in comparison to the artist and see that things really aren't that bad.  The blues can also be life affirming, as you remember where you were, were you are now, and become that much grateful for the high point you are experiencing now."
Rinoa had this slowly growing smile on her face as she listened to me.  "Yeah, I feel what you mean.  Oh look, the light changed."
The traffic light had changed and we darted across the street before it changed again.  Our discussion didn't end there, we continued talking about music and art as we made our way back to Gin's house.  I think I've made a connection with Rinoa, a connection that, God willing, will continue to develop as time goes forward.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: