Volume 11: Part 3- Trebyer: Monday, October 17th, 7:30 P.M.


Monday, October 17th, 7:30 P.M.
Rinoa and I got back from Frokost at about six.  Once we got to Gin's house, we went straight to Gin's office to finish the delivery.  As we approached the office, we could hear Sam and Gin having a loud discussion.  Not a heated discussion, just a loud one.  Upon hearing the discussion, Rinoa said she had to freshen up before dinner.  If I wasn't holding the envelope with Gin's money in it at the time I might have joined her.
Slowly I crept up to the door to Gin's office and knocked on the door, to which Sam bellowed, "Enter!"
I opened the door and was greeted warmly by Gin.  "Hato, you've come back from that errand I sent you on."
As I approached Gin's desk I said, "Yes, I've got the money you sent me for."  I could see Sam was sitting in front of Gin's desk with his drink in his left hand and nothing in his right.  This is the reason I stayed on Sam's left side as I approached Gin's desk.  I didn't count on Sam reaching across his body to snatch Gin's envelope away from me without spilling his drink.
"Yoink!" is what Sam exclaimed as he yoinked the envelope from my hands.  "Let's take a lookie-here-see at what's in this envelope."  Sam was obviously drunk as he did so.  "Look!  Several hundred dollars in large and semi-large bills, and a mint!"  Sam eagerly gobbled up the mint, making obnoxious om-nom noises as he did so.  "So, Hato, did you and Rinoa play hooker and pimp so you could get this money for Gin?"
The very premise of Sam's question offended me, and I expressed my offense.  "Fuck no."  I don't know if Sam heard me as he was still on-noming his mint.
Gin tried to explain the situation to the obnoxious drunk sitting in front of him.  "Sam, I need money so I can procure plane fuel for an upcoming trip which Hato is accompanying me on.  So, I had Hato and Rinoa take an invoice over to-"
To this point I didn't know if Sam was actually listening to what Gin was saying, but Sam must have been because he interrupted Gin, saying, "An invoice for what?"
Gin calmly replied, "Alcohol."
Sam drunkenly erupted, while making sure not to spill his drink, "You sent these kids to get your money to assist in your efforts to get people drunk off your filthy stinking alcohol."
After finishing his statement, Sam finished off his drink, to which Gin had to point out, "You're drinking alcohol made by my company."
Not wanting to be the impotent victim in this conversation, I stepped in to defend myself.  "Besides, I'm an adult,  not some dopy kid.  Also, what's your problem with drinking?"
Sam blearily looked me in the eye and said, "Alcohol is against our religion, and so is the drinking of alcohol which is against our religion."
The flaw in what Sam said hit me instantly.  "You're drinking alcohol right now."
Sam, maintaining his posture from before, said, "I'm an adult!"
Gin chimed in, "You're a hypocrite."
Sam, jerking his head followed by his whole body toward Gin, said, "No I'm not, I have principals.  And another thing..."  I didn't listen to Sam's drunken rant much further than that.  I could write down what Sam said, but I sincerely don't care.
There's a courtyard on Gin's property that I wondered into after I left Gin's office.  In the courtyard I saw several of the people that fled Dha Chathair along with me.  Some of them were nursing injuries, some had not cleaned up after the trip, but most were doing what most people do when they're in a large group, taking, having some fun, and enjoying being alive.  I also spotted Rinoa amongst the people in the courtyard.  Rinoa didn’t seem to have that dark energy she had before.  I don’t quite know what it is, but Rinoa seems to be more beautiful than before.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: