Moral Dilemma


I'm struck with a moral dilemma over a satirical piece that I want to write.  I'm hesitating writing it because it might be in bad taste.  Normally being in bad taste isn't a deterrent to me, as someone who thinks that The Whitest Kids U'Know is the most goddamn funny sketch comedy group of the last twenty years, but the idea I have crosses a line that I'm not comfortable crossing.


As I have touched on before, Apple has specific language in it's iTunes End User Liscence Agreement forbidding it's users from using it's products for the purpose of terrorism.  It's buried deep in the agreement, just pull it up, press Ctrl+F, and search for "biological weapons".  Really, it's there.  According to reports, the terrorist group ISIS is using iPhones in the production of several of the recent videos that they have released.  These videos are clearly used for the purpose of terrorism, which would run in conflict with the iTunes EULA.  My idea was to say that Apple, using it's vast sum of riches and influence, was using it's power to take down ISIS in ways that the US and other government are unable to.


Here's the problem: In order to write this piece, I'd have to reference the recent videos showing the beheading of journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley.  I could dance around those videos and not directly reference them, but inevitable someone reading the post would remember the media reports of those beheadings, and make the connection for themselves.  Given the nature of the videos, I do not want to have such a connection to my work be made.  So, I hesitate in writing the piece in question.  Is this what it's like to have a soul?  I haven't had one since I sold mine for money to buy some disappointing sponges.


Damn it!

No comments: