Ask My Candidates

Terror threat against feminist Anita Sarkeesian at USU

Feminist, Gaming Critic Cancels Utah State Speech after Massacre Threat


I find this incident to be disgraceful and personally embarrassing.  It shames me that officials at Utah State University were unable to provide adequate security for this event after a substantial threat was made against it due to my state's laws regulating guns.  But what can I do about it?  Really, what?


The laws that prevented officials at Utah State University from providing what Miss Sarkeesian felt would be adequate security for this even come courtesy of the Utah State Legislature and the politicians who represent the people of Utah.  As election time is fast approaching, there are currently many candidates vying to represent the people of Utah.



In my district, the race is between Clare Collard, pictured above, and Daniel W. Thatcher, also pictured above.  I was able to easily find an email address for both of these candidates, and sent the following email this morning:

Dear (Insert Candidate Name Here),


Yesterday an planned speech at Utah State University was cancelled by controversial Feminist Anita Sarkeesian.  According to a statement by the University, the move was made after Miss Sarkeesian was informed that due to Utah state law persons with concealed firearms permit would still be allowed to carry their firearms into the event.  Due to this, Miss Sarkeesian felt that her safety could not be guaranteed, especially given the substantive threats made in the past against her in the past.

In light of such an event and the inability for University to provide security that the speaker felt was adequate to the situation, do you feel that state laws regulating firearms need to be addressed?  I'd also like to know why you feel this way.

Full disclosure, I plan to make a post to my blog stating that I had sent you this email, as well as posting any response that you send me.  The reason that I am doing this is to show that ordinary citizens can get a response from their local politicians if only those citizens put forth the effort.

Thank you for your time
Hunter Red

I look forward to their responses.

No comments: