Response From Jason Chaffetz

For those of you who did not listen to Orange Lounge Radio, on Sunday I set out to craft an e-mail to ilicit a response from the two main candidates running for Congress in my district.  I attempted to do so in a way that would not offend they who I do not respect, and hopefully get a response from them.  I sent e-mails to Jason Chaffetz and Bennion Spencer.  On Wednesday, I recieved a response from Mr. Chaffetz.  I have posted it, and my reply to it here.  Note: Some names have been changed to protect the red.

 


Mr. Chaffetz's Response


 




Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 07:35:30 -0600


From: jason@chaffetz.com
To: redertainment@live.com
Subject: Re: A Voter Looking For More Information About You


Thank
you for the email.  Honestly, I am not familiar with the proposed
legislation.  Please forward me the bill number, etc. so I can review
it.

 

You can learn more about my campaign at www.jasonforcongress.com.  Thank you, Jason Chaffetz


On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Hunter Red <redertainment@live.com> wrote:



Dear Sir,

I am a voter living in
the third congressional district, which you are running to represent. 
Unfortunately, I do not know much about you, and I do strive to be a
well informed voter, which is why I am writing this e-mail to you
today.  I am curious as to what you feel are the main issues is this
election and how you feel about them. 

There is one issue I do want your opinion on.  I am curious how you
feel about the currently pending federal legislation that has to do
with restricting Mature rated video games to minors.  As an avid video
game player, this issue is of great importance to me.  While my opinion
of you may not hinge on this issue, it will sway it heavily.

Thank you for reading my e-mail today, and, hopefully, your response.

Hunter Red




--


Jason Chaffetz








My Response To Mr. Chaffetz







Dear Jason,

First of all, thank you for your response.  I also sent an message to
your opponent, and the fact that you responded first is a big plus to
me.

As far as your request for the bill number, there are actually three
bills pending in the Congress that pertain to video games.  These bills
are:
Video Game Decency Act of 2007 – H.R. 1531
Truth in Video Game Rating Act – S. 568
Children Protection from Video Game Violence & Sexual Content Act – H.R. 2958


There are also a number of states that have similar laws that are
either passed, on judicial appeal, or have been struck down.  One that
particularity concerns me is California's “Ultra violent Video Games” 
- Assembly Bills 1792 & 1793.  The reason this bill concerns me is
that this is basically the same bill as Louisiana's HB 1381, which was
stuck down in November 2006.  I have already resigned myself to the
fact that some sort of legislation will materialize to reign in the
availability of violent video games to minors, but methods like this
seem to not be productive.  After all, how effective can a law be that
is struck down?  More info about legislation of this nature can be
found here:
http://www.gamecensorship.com/legislation.htm

Again, thank you for responding to me, and I hope to hear more from you in the future

Hunter Red

No comments: