Freeplaying Helmet In The Bush

Red Review- Assassin's Creed III
I've been waiting.  Waiting patiently, silently, still as a stone.  I've been waiting here in this field.  I've been waiting here among these bushes.  I've been waiting here for her.  Her.  It's been a long time.  A long time spent contemplating, planning, preparing, waiting, waiting, waiting.  I've been waiting here for a long time, and finally it's paid off.  My patience, my planning, my dedication, has paid off.  She is here.  She is alone.  She.  She.


I'm not saying that I'm responsible for this.  What I am saying is that my patience has paid off.  Patience I used in waiting for the perfect situation, the perfect moment, the perfect prey.  Patience I learned while playing Assassin's Creed III.
 
Assassin's Creed III- B+





  
Red Review- The Sims Freeplay
Earlier this year, I got really into Sim Social on Facebook.  I got a lot of SimMoney, built as big of a house as you can build, got a girlfriend, and spent many hours Woo-Hooing her.  However, like many things on Facebook, I quickly grew bored with it.  It wasn't that Sim Social got boring, it was that I wanted to Woo-Hoo people in Mass Effect.
Even after I stopped playing Sim Social, I still had the bug in me to play The Sims.  I wanted to play The Sims on the go, while I was mobile, in the middle of doing other things that should be a higher priority to me.  So, I sought out playing The Sims on my various mobile devices.
There is no version of The Sims on Vita, which is odd since you would think the touchscreen would serve well to the experience of the game.  Also there is no good version of The Sims on Nintendo DS.  There are versions of the game on DS, but they suck.  Hard.  Then I found out about The Sims Freeplay on iPad.
This is really what I wanted.  If I could have played Sim Social on my iPad I would have probably continued playing it in some capacity.  So I started downloading this game.

The Sims Freeplay is a large file to download, larger than any of the other games I have on my iPad, and even larger than some of the TV shows and movies that I have on my iPad.  By the way, did I mention I have an iPad?
So I downloaded The Sims Freeplay and started playing the game.  The interface is easy to navigate with your fingers and doesn't require any kind of motion based input.  This is a good thing because I really fear being asked to shake my iPad and sending it halfway across the room.  Controlling the lives of multiple Sims can be a handful at times, but once you get a handle on it, guiding your Sims throughout their lives is a breeze.  Romantic options are available in the game, so you can have your Sims Woo-Hoo eachother.  You can even engage in lesbian Woo-Hooing.  Kinky.
I started playing The Sims Freeplay at home.  Like many other gamers out there, I wanted to play this game outside of my home.  For example, at work before I start my shift.  So, while at work before I started my shift, I pressed the icon to play The Sims Freeplay.
I don't have ready access to wireless internet at work.  If I do want to wirelessly access the internet at work, I have to steal the internet from the scrapbooking supply store next door.  Not having ready access to wireless internet serves as a problem with The Sims Freeplay due to the game needing to access Electronic Arts's servers in order to play the game.  Apparently the large file size that comes with this game does not include the ability to save the game you are playing to the iPad.

This inability to play The Sims Freeplay serves as a real hinderance to playing the game.  This also serves as a hinderance to the job system in The Sims Freeplay.  In this game, you can not do your job at anytime you want.  In the game you can only do your job at certain points in the day, based on what time it actually is where you are.  If you want to be an artist, your starting position has you working from 5 PM to 12 AM.  You cannot set it up so that your Sim goes to work at the time they have to show up for work, you have to choose to send your Sim to work at that time.  This is a problem if, for example, you do not have access to wireless internet, and because of that do not have access to the game, at 5 PM.

This inability to play The Sims Freeplay anywhere you want despite it being on a device you can take anywhere you want is a real problem for this game.  Sure I can play the game at home, but I am not always at home.  In fact, most people are not at home, or anyplace else, where they have ready access to wireless internet all the time.  It makes no sense to me why Electronic Arts would set up this game to be played in this way.

The Sims Freeplay: C-

No comments: