Volume 11: Part 2- Dha Chathair: Saturday, October 15th, 9:37 P.M.


Saturday, October 15th, 9:37 P.M.
There are things that happen in your life that you know will never happen again.  Not things you are sure will never happen again, not things you are confident will never happen again, things that you know will never happen again.  Things that happen because of a combination of environments, situations, circumstances, and persons that you know will never, ever, combine in just the same way ever again.  One of the things I saw in Moenia Prima fell into that category for me.  The sight of a mob of verbrechers converging on me to do me harm is something I thought I knew would never happen again.  This was something I knew.  Not something I know, something I knew.
Once I heard Spiker finish his speech and the crowd begin to chant "Freton!  Freton!  Freton!" I ran straight for the barn.  There I found Sam, who had previously been working on the truck, staring at his radio with a stunned looking on his face.  I yelled at him, "Sam!  We gotta get everyone out of here."  Sam didn't respond.  "Sam!"
Slowly Sam turned to me, stunned look still on his face, and said, "This is how it begins, isn't it?"
Finding Sam useless, I stepped out of the barn and started speaking so that everyone could hear me.  "Everyone.  Everyone, listen up!  There are people coming for us.  The Church of the Lord has turned violent toward us."
One of my fellow workers responded, "Why would they do that?"
I angrily shot back, "Because they've been convinced it's a good idea.  Look, everyone, we need to cram everyone we can into the delivery truck and get the fuck out of here!"
Knocked out of his daze and now taking a leadership role, Sam emerged from the barn and said, "No.  Everyone get in the barracks.  Once everyone's inside, lock and barricade the doors, windows, and any other way you people can think to get in."
Looking at Sam, I said, "Why can't we take the truck?"
"Because I can't get the damn thing to start.  Everyone, get in the barracks.  Hato, come with me."  Sam grabbed me around the shoulder as a way to gesture me toward the main house.  Once inside, Sam said to me, "Hato, go upstairs to one of the bedrooms with a window facing the city and act as a lookout.  I'm going to call The Father and see if he's okay."
I ran upstairs to the first bedroom at the top of the stairs, threw open the window, and started scanning the area for the verbrecher mob I knew was coming.  In my rush to act as lookout, I didn't notice the person sleeping in the bed who I woke up.
"Hey, what's going on?"
It's weird seeing someone you're into just after they've woken up.  Weirder still when it's the middle of the day.  "Rinoa?  What are you doing up here?"
"I wanted to ditch work today."
"So you came up here?"
"Yeah.  You can't catch an afternoon nap in the barracks, too many people."
"Well, there's certainly too many people in there now."
"How come?"
It was then that I saw the thing I thought would never happen again.  I, joined by Rinoa, looked out through the window and saw them.  "The verbrechers are coming."  I tore back downstairs, Rinoa following closely behind me, and found Sam sitting at the kitchen table in front of a moderately sized arsenal.
When he heard us enter the kitchen, Sam looked up from the revolver me was loading and said, "Got something to report, Hato?"
The sight of all those guns on Sam's table stunned me, so I couldn't speak.  Thankfully the guns did not have the same effect on Rinoa.  "There's a mob of verbrechers heading this way."
Sam put the last of the bullets into place, slid the chambers back into alignment, and said, "I thought we'd have more time.  Shit."
My stunned state was broken by a voice coming from Sam's phone.  "You shouldn't use that kind of language, my son."  The voice was The Father's.
"Father," I said sounding slightly desperate, "you're all right?"
"Yes, my son, I am, although I get the impression the people pounding on the doors of the church wish I wasn't."
Rinoa, in a more steady emotional state, said, "Do you have a car or a truck, so that you can get out of there?"
In a stern tone of voice, The Father said, "I'm not leaving this church.  I am sure that God will protect me and this building from harm."
I didn't want to tell The Father that I didn't believe what he had just said.  However, I did want to save my ass.  "Do you have a truck we could swing by and get so we can get as many people from the farm to safety?"
There was a short pause, a pause made longer by the situation we were in, then the voice from Sam's phone spoke.  "Don't you have a truck at the farm?"
As he was continuing to load bullets into clips for the pistols that sat in front of him, Sam, said, "The goddamn thing won't start."
The Father scolded Sam, "Language, my son.  Now, what is it that is wrong with your truck, Sam?"
As if to rebel against his scolding, Sam shot back, "The damn thing won't start.  The piece of shit stopped working yesterday for God knows what reason.  I've checked the battery, spark plugs, oil, alternator, radiator, every goddamn part of that fucking truck I could think to check."
Nobody said anything for a moment, then The Father said something basic and profound.  "Did you check to see if the truck had any gas?"
A really dumb look came over Sam's face in response to The Father's question.  "Damn it."
Rinoa looked at Sam and asked, "Isn't there cans of gasoline in the barn?"
Upset, probably because he was just embarrassed by a member of the clergy and a young woman, Sam got up from the table and said, "Hato, go to the barracks and tell everyone we're taking the truck and leaving.  I'll bring the truck around, assuming my dumbass can find one of the many gas cans in the barn."
Sam went off to the barn while Rinoa and I went to the barracks.  It took Sam some time to come around with the truck, which was good seeing as it took some time to dismantle the hastily constructed barricades in the barracks.  In that time, I got to take a good look at Dha Chathair as it was being torn to pieces by mobs of verbrechers in t-shirts from The Restoration Of The Truth rally.  To their credit, the Dha Chathair Police Department was attempting to put up a fight against the mob, it's just hard to do so when you're outnumbered three to one.
At long last, Sam showed up with the truck.  We started piling people into the back of the truck, cramming people just as tight as they could get, just as the mob of verbrechers reached the farm.  The mob fanned out across the farm.  Some were slashing and setting fire to crops we had put so much effort into growing.  Others were tearing apart the fences that we had put up, not caring that the fences were made of pressure treated wood and sharp barbed wire.  However, most of the mob was marching up the road that ran straight down the middle of the farm property, right toward the barracks.  Some of them had machetes, some had baseball bats, most had guns, guns that some members of the mob were firing at us as the marched.  Once we crammed as many of us as we could into the truck and Rinoa and I took a seat up front next to Sam, a thought came to my mind.
"Sam?"
"Yes, Hato."
"How are we going to get out of here?"
"We're going through them."
"Them?"
"The mob."
Then Sam gunned the engine and the truck started blazing forward.  As the truck got closer to the mob, the people who had been marching toward the barracks stopped and wondered about the truck heading their way.  It suddenly dawned on the mob that the truck that was barreling toward them wasn't stopping.  Some got out of the way.  Some didn't.  I'd like to say that the fact that Sam hit some verbrechers with his truck didn't make me slightly happy, but I sincerely can't say that.
As we pulled away from the farm, the members of the mob who had guns started firing on the cargo of the truck.  Most missed their target, some hit the metal parts of the truck, however a few people in the mob hit their target.  The sound of people getting injured is distressful to me, but seemed to be devastation to Rinoa.  Rinoa kept on asking, pleading, begging Sam to stop and get some help for the injured, but Sam did not stop, slow down, or even change his route.  He was going to the freeway, he was going to Trebyer, he was doing this no matter who or what he had to go through to accomplish this.
Once we hit the freeway, everything seemed to calm down.  The ride got smoother, we encountered less people, and the people in the back of the truck quieted down.  I don't know why they quieted down and I'm not looking forward to finding out.
I don't like having to leave a place under these circumstances.  I dare say no one does.  I can only hope that getting to Trebyer means that I will be getting to Amcan sooner.  Hope, because at this point I sincerely do not know.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: