Volume 11: Part 3- Trebyer: Sunday, October 16th, 4:38 P.M.


Sunday, October 16th, 4:38 P.M.
Sam was just stopped at a checkpoint before going into Trebyer.  Rinoa and I were a bit apprehensive as we were approaching it, but Sam told us this was a normal part of business in Trebyer.  This fact didn't seem to calm Rinoa at all.  The checkpoint was staffed by these military types.  I say types because I didn't see any of them carrying guns.  Uniforms, rank insignias, saluting, but no guns.  Weird.  Also, these military types were wearing helmets.  Not camouflage helmets or shiny black helmets, sky blue helmets, the color of which could be easily seem over a mile away.  Weird.
When Sam stopped at the checkpoint, the blue helmeted soldiers ordered everyone out of the truck.  Sam seemed okay with it, but I asked for an explanation.  The low level blue helmeted soldier tasked with manning the checkpoint told me that they had to search the truck and everyone in it for weapons before they're allowed into Trebyer.  The same soldier also told me that this was nothing personal, everyone goes through this screening process.
Everyone got out of the truck and the blue helmeted soldiers went to work.  They swept the truck with mirrors, bomb sniffing dogs, and a intricate visual inspection.  The soldiers took a similar approach to the people that occupied the truck.  This involved everyone getting manually swept by invasive, stone faced military officers.  This inspection made me feel uncomfortable.  I can't imagine how violated Rinoa feels right now.
Finally, we all were cleared and allowed to go into Trebyer.  Once we all got settled back into our places, I asked the person sitting next to me, "Rinoa, are you okay?"
At first she didn't respond, then Rinoa said, "I don't know what that was supposed to prove."
I took a second and said, "I don't think it was supposed to prove anything.  I think those screenings are meant to keep everyone safe."
Rinoa exploded.  "As if those impotent International League motherfuckers can do anything!  Those morons can't protect shit from shit."
The anger and the vitriol that Rinoa expressed caused me to end the conversation and sit silent as Sam began navigating his way through Trebyer.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: