Volume 11: Part 1- Moenia Prima: Friday, May 6th, 12:08 P.M.


Friday, May 6th, 12:08 P.M.
            I ditched school again for another interview, but this time my efforts weren’t a complete waste.  I actually met with an interviewer at Warrior Technological today.  I checked in with the receptionist at 9:45, sat and waited, then got called into the interviewer’s office at 10:15.  That is when it all turned to shit.
            The interviewer opened the door to his office to me and told me to take a seat, which I did.  The interviewer picked up my resume off his desk and read it for some time.  Finally, he said to me, “Hay-to.”
            I responded, “Actually, it’s pronounced Ha-to.”
            “Ha-to?”
“Yes.”
The interviewer then mumbled dismissively and went back to reading my resume.  After some time, the interviewer said, “Hato.  Is that short for something?”
“Excuse me?”
I’d like to say what followed was unexpected.  I really would.  “You heard me, you opfer prick.  Is Hato short for anything?”  Did I mention the interviewer was verbrecher?  Although I was mentally preparing myself for a hard interview upon seeing him, the language the interviewer used toward me knocked me back a bit.  I expected a person in his position to at least not openly express his racism.
I took a moment to catch my breath and say, “No, Hato is my real name.”
“Is Hato one of those perverse nicknames you young fretons call each other?”  That shocked me, and I physically expressed my shock.  It had been years, YEARS, since someone had called me a freton.  At that moment, I knew the kind of vile, venomous hatred this interviewer was harboring against me.
I cleared the shock from my face and tried to press forward.  “Hato Shurtleff is my full legal name.  I can even show you my school ID if you want.”
“No.  I don’t need to see one of your half-assed freton forge jobs.”  I don’t understand this comment.  Not the freton part, the part where he accused me of forgery.
The interview didn’t get much better from that.  We went over my academic history, where he implied that I cheat everyday in school, my job history, where he implied that I was lazy and useless, and my qualifications, which he blatantly called bullshit.  By the time this whole process was finished, this interviewer had hurled a wider variety and higher amount of insults at me than I’ve ever encountered in my life.  This is the worst experience with a verbrecher I’ve ever had.
After I left the Warrior Technological offices, I felt was emotionally raw.  I still am.  I had meant to go back to school after my interview but I don’t feel like doing that now.  I feel like using my osher skills to scamper to the roof of a building, lying flat on my back and staring at the sky for a while.  I probably won’t do that.  I’d probably get caught by some security guard, and if the guard happens to be verbrecher, he’d shoot me and call it self-defense.  Oh well.
Later.
Hato Shurtleff

No comments: